Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Clinton on Iran

Senator Hillary Clinton has started talking tougher about Iran. In an interview that aired on "Good Morning America" today, ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Senator Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons. Clinton responded: "I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran. In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

Clinton also differentiated her position from Senator Barack Obama in last Wednesday's debate. Clinton responded to a question on the subject: "I think that we should be looking to create an umbrella of deterrence that goes much further than just Israel. Of course I would make it clear to the Iranians that an attack on Israel would incur massive retaliation from the United States."

Senator Obama responded to the same question: "I think it is very important that Iran understands that an attack on Israel is an attack on our strongest ally in the region...I would consider an attack unacceptable, and the United States would take appropriate action."

No comments: