Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Democracy Promotion" Coordinator Resigns

Yesterday, David Denehy, who has been coordinating the Iran "democracy promotion" account at the U.S. Department of State resigned. In an email Denehy writes:

"October 26, 2007 will be my last day with the U.S. Department of State; my decision to leave the administration is due, in part, to my belief that I am better able to serve the goals of the President’s Freedom Agenda from outside of government. While there have been many challenges to the work we have done together, the rewards have been equally as great. I leave the Department proud that I was able to work with you to support those seeking to expand personal freedom and democracy in Iran. I urge you that no matter how strenuous the debate of our work that you continue to support those in Iran who cannot speak for themselves."

Denehy did not state where he is going or what he will be doing.

No comments: