Although there is already a new National Intelligence Estimate underway, before leaving for their elections campaigning recess, Congress passed new measures to hold the administration accountable for Iran policy. Section 1213 of the Defense Authorization bill requires the President to provide Congress with a report on his strategy regarding Iran, and the Director of National Intelligence to submit to the Congress an updated and comprehensive national intelligence estimate on Iran no later than 90 days after the enactment of the bill. Section 1213 also requires the President to submit to Congress a report on the administration’s objectives on US policy on Iran and the strategy for achieving those objectives.
SEC. 1213. INTELLIGENCE ON IRAN.
(A) SUBMITTAL TO CONGRESS OF UPDATED NATIONALINTELLIGENCE ASSESSMENT ON IRAN.
(1) SUBMITTAL REQUIRED. The Director of NationalIntelligence shall submit to Congress an updated,comprehensive National Intelligence Estimate on Iran.Such National Intelligence Estimate shall be submittedas soon as practicable, but not later than the end ofthe 90-day period beginning on the date of theenactment of this Act.
(2) NOTICE REGARDING SUBMITTAL. If before the end ofthe 90-day period specified in paragraph (1) theDirector determines that the National IntelligenceEstimate required by that paragraph cannot besubmitted by the end of the period as required by thatparagraph, the Director shall (before the end of thatperiod) submit to the Congress a report settingforth:
(A) the reasons why the National Intelligence Estimatecannot be submitted by the end of such 90-day period; and
(B) an estimated date for the submittal of theNational Intelligence Estimate.
(3) FORM. The National Intelligence Estimate underparagraph (1) shall be submitted in classified form. Consistent with the protection of intelligencemethods, an unclassified summary of the key judgmentsof the National Intelligence Estimate should besubmitted.
(B) PRESIDENTIAL REPORT ON POLICY OBJECTIVES ANDUNITED STATES STRATEGY REGARDING IRAN.(1) REPORT REQUIRED.
As soon as is practicable, butnot later than 90 days after the date of the enactmentof this Act, the President shall submit to Congress areport on:
(A) the objectives of United States policy on Iran; and
(B) the strategy for achieving those objectives.
(2) FORM. The report under paragraph (1) shall besubmitted in unclassified form with a classifiedannex, as appropriate;
(3) ELEMENTS. The report submitted under paragraph(1) shall:
(A) address the role of diplomacy, incentives,sanctions, other punitive measures and incentives, andother programs and activities relating to Iran forwhich funds are provided by Congress; and
(B) summarize United States contingency planningregarding the range of possible United States militaryactions in support of United States policy objectiveswith respect to Iran.